Title: Monsters & Angels
Author: Anne Marie Andrus
Date: October 11th 2017
Genres: Historical, New Adult, Paranormal Romance
Fledgling nurse Sorcha Alden knew she had the skills to save lives, but she never dreamed that her own life would be the one in danger.
Driven by tragedy to honor her family name, Sorcha embarks on a journey that takes her from the bleak but familiar streets of New York, through the sultry and seductive city of New Orleans, and into the brutal jungles of Nepal. Forging friendships and carrying on her mother’s mission of healing was her dream. Plunging into a love affair with the mysterious Dr. Ashayle could have been a fairytale.
Being murdered and waking up as a blood-thirsty monster—became her living nightmare.
Torn away form a life that had just begun, Sorcha returns to New Orleans as a newborn vampire, forced to start over in a cutthroat underworld of devilry and decadence. Complicated politics, bitter rivals and jealous ancestors stand between her and the promises she’s still determined to keep.
In a realm where the boundary between good and evil is as murky as the Mississippi River and immortal does not mean invincible, will Sorcha ever risk her shattered heart and love again? Can the magical harmony of the Crescent City give her enough courage to fulfill her eternal destiny?
Top 10 Romance Tropes
First, a huge thank you to Books of a Shy Girl for hosting the Monsters & Angels blog tour!
Tropes are those tried and true storylines weaved through our favorite novels, movies and television series. Hooks, such as unique locations, unusual obstacles or personality quirks are what make a story stand out from all the others. An author’s challenge is to refresh the classic tropes into exciting new adventures and craft hooks that turn characters into superstars.
When I wrote Monsters & Angels, I created the story I wanted to read. I didn’t plan it out—at all. In the “plotter vs. pantser” debate, Monsters is the purest “pantser” novel I’ll ever write. Before I wrote this post, I browsed lists of tropes and found that I incorporated more than I realized.
So, whether we love them or love to hate them, here is a list of my Top 10 Romance Tropes:
10. Workplace Romance – Bosses, administrative assistants, doctors, nurses. Always against the rules, but the danger of getting caught makes it extra exciting.
9. Arranged Marriage/Marriage Before Romance – The idea of being married to a stranger is pretty awful, but actually falling in love with that stranger makes for an unlikely and compelling storyline.
8. Damsel in Distress – Robin Hood and Maid Marian. I like the goofy Prince of Thieves version the best. Alan Rickman was genius and the soundtrack is pure gold.
7. Forbidden Love – Outside forces, culture and tradition try to keep the characters apart, but they’re willing to fight for each other. This works very well in paranormal romance since vampires and werewolves seem to fall for humans a lot.
6. Royalty – Sheikhs, Kings, Princes, Dukes. they always fall for the girl next door and she never understands why. Monsters & Angels has a few nobles, but they play by their own rules.
5. Road-trip Romance – I’m not sure when I last read one of these, but I think I’ll write one!
4. Glad to Be Alive Sex – From the movie Speed… Jack: “Relationships based on intense experiences never work.” Annie: “We’ll have to base it on sex then.”
3. Flawed Hero/Heroine – The main character holds everything together on the outside, but underneath their bravery, intelligence and beauty is an insecurity or flaw that threatens to derail everything.
2. Everybody Loves The Love Interest – Monsters & Angels fall squarely into this trope. Leading lady, Sorcha Alden, is oblivious to the effect she has on…everyone.
1. Storms – Something wicked this way comes. Not really a romance trope, but I’ve written ominous storms into most of my stories. Storms force decisions and actions that leave lasting consequences. The power of Mother Nature has a way of making people realize who they love most.
Whew! That was fun and I learned a few things about myself and my characters!
Monsters & Angels is finally live and ready for the world.
I’m also honored to have two of my stories included in Dan Alatorre’s scary story anthology, The Box Under The Bed!
Watch the trailer!
About the author
Anne Marie has been an equestrienne, chorale singer, candy-striper, EMT, and baseball fan. Roaming the back roads of New Jersey with her family, she found great respect for antiques, historical locations and the stories they hold. Her current list of favorite pastimes include coffee, bourbon, and Les Miserables–which requires more bourbon. She has been known to attend sporting events just for the flyover. The boat she and her husband christened Glory Days, is her escape from the chaos of everyday life.
The inspiration for Anne Marie’s debut novel, Monsters & Angels, is her fascination with vampires and her passion for everything New Orleans. When she isn’t writing, she can be found working nights with the critical care team in a busy trauma center.
Enter for a chance to win a bracelet (3 winners), a signed copy of Monsters & Angels (10 winners) or an ebook copy of Monsters & Angels ( 5 winners) (INTL).
Click here to find the whole tour schedule.